Saturday, July 26, 2008

Love... Actually


I am thankless when I get irritated on seeing Your SMS, just because I am waiting for someone else’s.
I am thankful that Your SMS asks, “Have you reached safely?”, and that Your life depends on the answer to that question.


I am thankless when I get angry if You ask me to switch off the computer since its light disturbs your sleep.
I am thankful for the innumerable nights You’ve spent awake just because I couldn’t sleep.


I am thankless every time I’m in awe of someone with a bigger house, a bigger car, or a bigger wardrobe.
I am thankful that when I need it the most, Your arms have the biggest hug to give me.


I am thankless when I label every little question of Yours unnecessary and extremely insignificant.
I am thankful that everyday, I come back to a home where Somebody eagerly waits to hear answers from me to little-little, unnecessary, insignificant questions.


I am thankless when I yell at You and tell You that You can’t stand up for me because You couldn’t tell someone my truth.
I am thankful that You not only faced and braved my truth, but have made it Your own truth too.


I am thankless every time I vent my entire day’s frustration on You, and hate You when You do that to me.
I am thankful that You rarely do the latter, and that You rarely miss doing the former.


I am thankless when I throw a fit and make Your life hell because I’ve had a break-up.
I am thankful that You will never ever break-up with me, that leaving me is not even the last option in Your life.


I am thankless to not remember often that even though You never say to me that You love me, there is nobody in the world who loves me as completely, as selflessly, and as unconditionally… as You.
Need I say what I am thankful for?


I am thankless to You on most days of my life.
I am thankful that I’m not, on this day.


I am thankless, I think, because I am not a Parent.

I am thankful, though, that I am and will always be Your child...

2 comments:

~The Dream Catcher~ said...

It's unbelievable isn't it? The way parents love their children, unconditional, beyond all doubts, all-forgiving, refreshing and stronger than anything I have ever known...
And the worst, or maybe the best part in a convoluted way is, that we as children always expect all this, but believe that we dont really get all of it.. at least in my experience..

I think I'm beginning to sound like I'm running in circles now..

Monsoon said...

Yes, I think almost every child goes through that phase. Often, it is an existential question that one asks directly or indirectly - "Why did you give me this life at all?" or "What have you done for me?"

Actually, at the end of the day, the foremost act - to bring a child into this world - is a parent's selfish need / wish. However, everyday, every moment after that, their 'self' takes the back seat and they give the child the best available to them within their resources.

Parents, like children, are of all kinds... However, unlike children (until the children become parents too of course), they know how to GIVE, without expecting anything back, which is what I believe Love... actually is :-)