Saturday, May 31, 2008

Big Bad Beautiful Blogging Borld


It’s amazing! This world of blogging! Too bad, I’ve remained unknown to it for so long. But then, I’ve remained unknown to many wonderful things in the world. Books, to start with. World cinema (Terrible, Monsoon! Terrible! Terrible!) And… Dates (;_;).

My mother just came in and we had this little dialogue…

Mamma: What do you keep doing on computer all day? Don’t you get tired?
Monsoon: (lost in a
wonderful blog) Hmmm…?
Mamma: What’re you doing?
Monsoon: (still lost; mumbles) Nothing.

Mother goes away.


I didn’t quite get to notice her expression as she left, but I bet you can imagine it, just as I can. Of course, I don’t keep doing blogs all day [as you would know if you’ve read my previous post]! But for the most part of today, I have. And oh my! There’re so many brilliant writers out there. And most have been blogging for over 3 years! I seriously have a lot of catching up to do.

Of late, however, I’ve found myself wondering just how much or how little of myself must I pour into my blog. Who am I writing it for? Who SHOULD I write it for? Myself, right? But then, isn’t the whole thing about a blog to let others read you? Why WOULD they want to do that, unless of course, they happen to be my friends, lovers, family, or random people I’ve bribed?
Or… unless if I write well enough?
OR… if there’s something extraordinary about this blog or this blogger?

Which is where my next dilemma begins. How right or wrong is it to flash your extraordinariness to increase your number of hits per day? Would it have been better if the likes of Aamir Khan and Amitabh Bachchan had not projected their true identities along with their blogs? [Oh by the way… hehehe… If you’re trying to read between the lines… THIS blogger is not a celebrity!] Yeah, I know, I know! They want to reach out to the public at large and all that. But just how many of the actual number of ‘public’ can they reach through a high-tech thing (it still IS one in India, if you ask me) like a blog?

Well, I haven’t visited any of the celebrity blogs myself. Even from a distance, they somehow smell fake… And much like KG, ‘fake’ is my turn-off.

Coming back to the dilemma of this freshly-baked blogger… How much of me should go into my blog? And how much of my blog should occupy me?

Expert suggestions… opinions… experiences… Welcome! The door to the Comments room is right below!

1 comment:

The Rat said...

Its a permanent dilemma amongst bloggers Monsoon. Blogs can be a portal where you can connect with the world, or simpy just let yourself flow.. a kind of 'pensieve' if you know what I mean... The choice is individual.
As for celebrity blogs, they're useful to the extent that if you leave a link there, you expose yourself to a lot of readership. Apart from that, they're as much a gossip mill as any cheap tabloid.
Happy blogging!