Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Revising a Story Lesson


I’ve discovered a magic therapy. Of late, many times (if not most of the times), I have seen and experienced it working wonderfully on myself. And I believe it has got to be effective if it can help someone with symptoms of hereditary Clinical Depression.


That reminds me. Over two years ago, when I was visiting a psychologist regularly for my certifications, she had told me quite clearly that I had a tendency to develop a mild Clinical Depression, especially since it has been being passed on, on my mother’s side, particularly amongst the women. She had advised me to keep psychiatric help accessible, especially through the most important forthcoming period of 3-4 years in my life. A lot was going to happen and even though it was all for the good, there was no guarantee of the period itself being good.


And surely, there were times when I would wish to skip life on particular days. I’d be desperate to find a way to just jump to the next day, or to somehow discover an Invisibility Cloak and simply carry on with life without having to undergo the pressure of being SEEN. How I wished that nobody would see me, nobody would look at me, that people could just see past me, like I was nothing but a molecule of air.


Today, however, I don’t see the point in thinking or talking about those days. Yes, they made me stronger, braver and all that, but today, I also wish I had tried the magic therapy in those days. But then, I didn’t know about it then. Well, actually, perhaps I did. Perhaps all of us do, because it is one of the earliest story lessons of our lives, but we forget about it. We grow up seeing most of the people around us complaining, cribbing and self-pitying; and somewhere along the way, we unknowingly learn it and make it our way of life too.


It’s simple. It’s the lesson we all learnt from the story of the poor man who didn’t have shoes, who went to the church to complain to God, and there, saw a man who was thanking God, even though he did not have legs.


About a month back, on NDTV, I happened to watch a special report on a 2 feet tall man, who was born without legs, without arms, without speech and hearing abilities. All you could see was a tiny torso and a little face. But what was most striking about that face was an absolute absence of complaint on it. The report showed the man going through all his daily activities by himself without any help whatsoever. And I found myself wondering whether it was right of me to make myself hopeless and helpless when there is such a vast landscape of hope and possibility in the world.


These days, when I am morose and basically carrying out an eternal crib-fest, I try to remember this man’s courage in the face of the cruel fate meted out to him by nature. And invariably, I find myself feeling guilty for not thinking above just my own self.


It is not always possible to think of another, when you’re busy thinking of the ‘unfairness’ of life you’re dealing with. It is only possible when there is that little spark existent somewhere deep inside you – the spark of a genuine desire to rid yourself off pain, the desire to be happy. I have a feeling that I just might be igniting that tiny spark inside me these days, that I might be succeeding in letting it prevail…


This spark which is gradually making me believe that despite all the flaws that I might be made up of, I’m likeable… because I like myself, I love myself, I want myself to be happy, and not on the parameters of the world, but on the scales of happiness that I have to define for my own self.

5 comments:

~The Dream Catcher~ said...

Go to your seventh, eight, ninth or tenth standard textbook. History, geagraphy, math or science. Open the first page which has the title and the author's name on it. Behind that page there is a small box with a Charkha below it.
Words of wisdom from Gandhi, they ask you to remember the poorest and most destitute man you have seen lately. And think if your state is worse than that. And think that what ever you do next, how will it benefit that man.

I dont necessary believe in the last opinion, but I din't understand then that the first one will come back to haunt me later..

Monsoon said...

Gandhi ji's Talisman! Yes, sure, I remember. I used to read it and re-read it every time I started to read a new text-book, but it missed that line that you mention here (whether your condition is worse than the poorest man's). It just asks you to think whether the step you're contemplating would improve his world in some way; which is why, I could never relate to it, because my predicament never had to do with any step I was contemplating. It was all so internalized and even though the world had a role to play, but at the end of the day, it was all about just me.

Gandhi ji's Talisman was activism-oriented, not self-improvement, happiness-oriented.

The Rat said...

Gandhiji's talisman was to be used when you were at cross roads about what you wanted to do. In your case, you seem very defined, very clear about what you want.

As for thinking about people who are worse off than I am when I'm wailing in self-pity, it does work. It also helps to remember that every situation passes on, and till it does, your whining isn't going to make it any better, you just have to gear up and deal with it...
Nice post.

Monsoon said...

I concur, Rat!

And thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.